You are what you feet

from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/GoldenEagleFootLyd4.png

I thought of the title yesterday after hearing Michal Horowitz speak about the signs of a kosher bird that are identified, though we also generally stick to the ones we recognize via mesorah.  They include the presence of a crop, a stomach that peels back easily, an extra (or extra long in some views) finger, and the lack of talons. Interestingly here, two signs relate to feet, one positive and one negative, though it is the lack of talons (not being dores) that is considered to be the primary sign of a kosher bird. Feet are also a sign of kashruth for animals, of course, as they must have split hooves, as well as chew their cud.

Aside from the halcha itself, Michal Horowitz wanted to draw out the mussar point of forbidding birds of prey who act with some cruelty. This is the "you are what you eat" idea and extend to our consumption only of herbivores among animals, as well. She then brought up that among the nonkosher birds listed is the chasidah. It's a surprising name for a forbidden bird because it actually means kindness. She gave the same basic explanation as found here 

The Chidushei Ha-Rim, R’ Yitzchak Meir of Gur zt”l, explains that the chasida’s fault is that she performs kindness only with chavrose’ha – her friends, to the exclusion of others. Do you remember the kid on the block who generously shared with everyone else – except you? The birthday party from which you were left out? Would you have counted these “friends” among the great “doers of kindness?” Exclusive kindness and peer-favouritism does not a righteous-bird make.
Just the day before I had a real-life illustration of chasidah-like behavior. I had reached out to someone on LinkedIn and then contacted her via email, reminding her we had been on the same board for years and asking who the current editor of the outlet is because freelancers have to always reach out to inquire about writing possibilities. Her response was a verbal slap in the face:


"One of my biggest pet peeves is when people want to connect on LinkedIn and immediately ask for a favor. It's extremely poor form.

Develop relationships with people, then ask favors."

I wrote back that I agree when they had no contact before and when they just try to sell their services. That had not been the case here, and in any case what she described as asking for favors was just asking for information, the kind I freely give to people all the time .When people who just know me from being involved with the same publication contact me on LInkedIn asking me for info about how to get on board for one of the outlets I write for, I share all the information I have, including the name of the editor, the email to use, the amount and type of work one could expect, and even the rate of compensation. In truth, I'm introducing my own competition in doing that at times. Nevertheless, I hold on to the code of conduct of treating others the way I would like to be treated.

Other people play by very different rules. I wouldn't say that it's just due to their not being Jewish b/c I have nonJewish peers who are much nicer than that. So given our focus on kosher concepts, I suppose we can call those who only do good for those in their clique are leaving what's known as the "Golden rule" for the  the chasida rules.


Now back to Michal Horowitz's closing point. She connected the chasida rules  to the upcoming celebration of Pesach and the awareness we must have to include other people, to be sure they get what they need for the holiday and not just feel complacent that we have attained the most mehudar  matzah or sport what she described as "the blackest hat and the whitest shirt."



Like and follow on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KallahMagazine/

Comments

Popular Posts