Perspectives on Kitchen Equipment.

I received a new cookbook to review that I started looking over.  The author includes the 11 items she considers essential specialty items. While she urges all readers to obtain all of them, I manage fine with just one.  I'll share her list with my comments here:
Food processor - that's the one I agree on.
Grill pans - I don't own these and can't think that they would justify the space they take up for the couple of times I may ever in my life make use of them.  However, I do have a George Foreman indoor grill that I use for burgers, hot dogs, and grilled vegetables.
Mandoline - I don't own one.  If it can't be sliced in the food processor, a knife will do.
Microplane - any grating I do is usually done in the food processor.  For very small things like lemon zest, I use a knife.
Ovenproof skillet -- the idea behind this is that you can transfer what you've carmelized in it directly into the oven.  I think many skillets would be ovenproof, and if your isn't, you can simply transfer it into a pan that is.
PepperMate -that a brand name peppermill -- another thing I live without
Potato Masher -- I don't use it. It is possible to mash with a fork or even to use the whisk on a Kitchen Aid*
Reamer or Juicer -- I may have one among my Pesach stuff, but I don't use it.  I just squeeze lemons by hand when I do opt for fresh.  More likely, I would use bottled lemon juice.  And forget about squeezing enough oranges for fresh oj.
Salad spinner -- don't own and can't see taking up space with it.
Scissors - while I can see how poultry shears could come in handy, I've made do without them
Tongs -- I actually have both the BBQ kind and a decorative kind.  I find myself using neither.

Surprisingly, she does not include an immersion blender, though I don't think her recipes do call for it.

*What she is missing that I would include is a Kitchen-Aid or other heavy duty mixer.  If one doesn't have the space or the funds, then at least a good hand-held mixer.  I bake a lot, but the cookbook features very little cake.
I also think it is more useful for the beginner cook to get a list of the real essentials, like measuring cups, pots,  pans, strainers, and little things like corkscrews, can openers, pot holders, trivets, etc.  Then there could be the nice to have lists that really reflect individual tastes and inclinations.

What would you list of recommended  kitchen equipment include?




Visit my site www.kallahmagazine.com -- not just for kallahs. You can also see posts at http://www.examiner.com/x-18522-NY-Jewish-Bridal-Examiner

Comments

Orthonomics said…
I love the immersion blender. I have a $10 one from the drug store.

I use my food processr and stand mixer regularly.

I bought tongs within the last year or two. I really like these for slipping chicken on my grill pan :) and pulling out browned meatballs.

I really like the onion dicer. I use it for onion and garlic when I'm cooking up a storm.

I have a potato masher and microplane. Neither are necessary, but the kids love the potato masher and can manage it when "helping." For $1 at the Dollar Tree, I don't regret the purchase.
Ariella's blog said…
Mashing potatoes is a great activity for kids. In the cookbook, she says, it can also be used on egg and tuna salad. It's interesting, I find, we get used to certain things and can't imagine getting along without them, but if we never used something, it does not seem necessary. For example, we live without a microwave. I know that it is not expensive, and many people rely on it a great deal, but when you're used to waiting for food to heat up or bake in the oven, you don't feel it is necessary to have everything done in 2 minutes flat. I also don't really use a blender. I have one in the combined food processor/blender I bought for Pesach a decade or more back, but I only tried it out once on a parve ice cream recipe. On the other hand, I use a mixer so extensively that I even happily accepted a second Kitchen-Aid as a gift from my husband's uncle for Pesach use.
Anonymous said…
I agree with your assessment on all the items except the tongs. I love my tongs (I have several) and I use them all the time for salads and cooking. I bought a grill pan a long time ago and barely used it. I also bought a salad spinner that is useful but I would rather save time and buy the bagged lettuce so the spinner does not get used very often.
Ariella's blog said…
For salad, I use the separate spoon and fork to toss and serve. As I said, I find I don't use the tongs I do have. For cooking I end up using forks, sometimes serving forks, rather than tongs. A lot of this depends on what you're used to using.
Anonymous said…
I adore my Kenwood Major, I love my immersion blender (we call it the zhuzzer), grill pans are very handy, but you will absolutely have to *KILL* me to get my Microplane zester! I own 4, and another one for Pesach, which makes 5. It's the best thing for cheese, chocolate, nutmeg, fresh ginger, and lemon zest, of course.
Ariella's blog said…
Thanks, miriyummy. I understand having one for dairy, one for meat, and one for parve, but that only makes 3. What is the purpose of the fourth?
Ariella's blog said…
I've thought a bit more about this. The fact is that I am not really into gadgets. But one extra I did put in was a double oven. That really makes life easier when I am rushed and want to bake a cake at the same time as a chicken is in the oven. One is designated for meat and one for parve and dairy. That way I also don't have to clean my oven as often as I would if I only had one.

Popular Posts