Not quite one in a million

I am one in 855. I mean of the SAT essay scorers. In the latest newletter, Pearson informs us that 950 readers were hired to score for the October SAT exam taken by about 575,000 students. 90% of the 950 readers passed training and qualification, which would mean 855 if my math skills do not fail me on percentages. So for those who slyly ask if I could assign a better score if I recognize the writer of the essay, you can calculate for yourself what are the odds of my getting that one our 575,000 essays when there are 854 other possibities? Aside from the point that I would not score a student essay by someone I recognize any differently than one I am unfamiliar with, the odds are very much against my getting the essay one has in mind.

BTW the next SAT test date is November 7th. It seems to always be given on a Saturday, so taht Sabbath observers have to take it the next day.

Comments

Popular Posts