Labels, grr!

It's not enough to have labels based on affiliations, we have to have subcategory labels. And supposedly, all who fall into that subcategory label will act exactly the same. I just saw a topic title on a forum with a poll offering yes or no to the following: "Do most YU Machmir people only use checked Romaine Lettuce?"

Personally, I buy the standard Romaine lettuce and wash and check it myself. I usually only do this for Pesach. But for year round, I wash and the lettuce we use for salad. I also train my daughters to check the red and green leaf lettuce. I have found tiny bugs on occasion, so it is not an unnecessary precaution to check the leaves. I also explain to my daughters that certain vegetables are very difficult to check, which is one of the reasons I tend not to buy them.

But where I went to school or did not go to school really is irrelevant. What exactly are YU Machmir people supposed to be machmir on? Cholov Yisroel? Hilchos Shabbos? Taharas hamishpacha? Emunas chachamim? Or is it only matters of kashrus?



Comments

Popular Posts