I've heard of renting flowers for weddings, but this . . .

I saw an online ad that offers rentals of silk flower arrangements for Shabbos. It reads as follows: "Pre-made Silk Flower Shabbos Bouquet for Rent or Sale. Why buy Flowers for $15-$50 that will die when you can rent them. . . . Rentals only $15 from Friday- Wednesday $1.50 for every additional day we have many to choose from so you can Pick up a new one every week."

I really don't this is as an economical choice. You can buy a pretty nice bouquet of fresh flowers for $15 or less, so if that is what you want to spend for flowers you will only keep from a Friday to Wednesday, then you may as well get fresh. In fact, I have bought flowers at Stop and Shop and Gourmet Glatt for just $3 to $4 a bunch. If I wanted something more extravagant, I could spend $6 to $7 on two for a fuller bouquet.

If I would be opting to save money by getting silk instead, it only makes sense to buy the flowers and keep them forever after rather than paying what they cost every single week. Silk flowers generally cost $1 to $2 a stem. What they're offering would only make sense as fund raiser for a tzedaka. Then you would be, essentially donating the $15 and getting the temporary flowers as a token of appreciation of sorts.

Comments

Popular Posts