Macher class

OK, right off I will say that I am not any type of macher at all. But I have been thinking that there is not only one macher type. While all machers do share some common traits, there are variations on the macher personality. Indeed, the classification of machers could work for one of those composition assignments I used to assign. If it boils down to only 2 types, it would be done as a comparison/contrast. If there are 3 or more to be identified, it would be written as a classification essay.

So here's what I've been thinking about the types of machers that I encounter. Very simply, there are those I cannot abide at all, and those that I can work with. Let us call them type A ( and B.

Type A know that machers have to be pushy, and that about sums them up. There is nothing positive to say about such people. They say things like, "I only pay half the prices everyone else does." This is their G-d-given right, apparently, because a mahcer does not want to admit to not having money even while he bargains. Bargaining is a sport; their mind is set on win-lose, and they cannot feel they have won unless it is also clear that you have lost. They also say totally absurd things to justify their special status like "I come from the holy city of Tel Aviv." That, my friends, is a direct quote form a phone conversation from someone who wanted to demand half the price and twice the coverage. He left off with "take it or leave it." "I'm leaving it," I said and hung up. These people are not worth the time or aggravation. Actually, right after I sold the same spot to an existing customer who wished to upgrade her ad position. No negotiation: I told her the price difference, and we were set.

But in all fairness, I have to admit that not all machers are all bad. The difference, I noticed, is that the machers I work with temper their pushiness with some consideration. The type B, rather than assuming some type of Divine right, push for what they want with finesse. They may se self-effacing humor, saying things like, "Of course, I want everything for nothing." But while they may drive a hard bargain, they do not insist on ripping off the other guy altogether. One other important difference, they do try to show appreciation. They are capable of seeing value in someone else's work and complimenting accordingly.

Obviously, this is an effective tactic in getting what you want, but the type A is so thoroughly egotistical that they put down all others before themselves as naturally as breathing. What realy amazes me is that the A type is able to work with anyone at all. There have got to be a lot of masochists out there for the type A macher to feed off.

Comments

Popular Posts