A Tall Order

Apparently, now to be "good for shidduchim," a kallah maidel needs not only to reflect the "right" hashkafos through a certificate of a proper BY education for seminary as well as high school, as well, as working, ideally, in a chinuch, but she has to fit the physical ideal that includes a minimum height. Now I am certain that all the bochurim in Lakewood or their equivalent have not suddenly shot up above 6 feet tall, yet it seems that they (or those who speak for them) are demanding girls of 5'5". Hey, even I am just 5'41/2", yet I am quite average height and taller than a lot of my counterparts. So what gives with the height requirement? Remember, I am not talking about a girl saying she would like her prospective husband to be above 5 feet tall but of a boy who rules out a girl because she is too petite.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Probably the concern is that with a very petite bride, the future male offspring will be too short.
Anonymous said…
Now I remember why this sounded so familiar. In the memoirs of Ved Mehta, there is much concern about the height of prospective brides. (This took place in India in the mid 1940s). It's a chapter called "Pictures of Marriage" in the book "The Ledge between the Streams", and I think it was also published in the New Yorker as "Pom's Engagement." It's fascinating to compare this world to the shidduch world!
Orthonomics said…
The height and weight requirements are on both ends, and quite frankly they generally come off as rather shallow and make it difficult to even try to make shidduchim.

On that note, I hope my kids are a bit taller than me. But genetics are a strange thing. I believe there is a 5% chance a child will be shorter or taller than their parents. Well, guess what happened in our family?
Ariella's blog said…
A doctor told me that based on the usual mathematical formula used to predict height, my daughter could expect to reach near 5'6", but, in fact, she is far shorter than that and appears to not have much more growing time left.
My kids actually were among the taller ones in their classes, though they usually rank average on the doctor's charts. Frum people seem to usually clock in on the shorter end, which is why is particularly ludicrous to insist on minimum heights. As in my own case, we found that 2 average height parents could still produce a less than average height child, so there is no point to the planned eugenics based on height.

Popular Posts