Got the T shirt

Back around 1995 YU decided to demonstrate some holiday spirit by giving out T-shirts emblazoned with the university logo to the rebbeim, professors, and staff. From what I heard, rebbeim and perhaps some others were affronted by the gesture that put them in the same class as the janitors. So the gesture was never repeated -- at least not in the years that I remained on staff as an instructor of English at YU. But I still have the T-shirts, which has not seen much use until recently when I started wearing it to the gym. I throw a cardigan over as I make the 2 block walk over to get sleeve coverage but the logo can still be seen.

Today someone in the area whom I've been in business contact with remarked, "I didn't know you went to YU." When I explained that I taught composition and rhetoric, he said, "I respect you more now." Ah, beforehand I was regarded as just an airhead, I suppose.

Really, I don't even introduce myself as Dr. Brown, let alone run on about my whole CV. But maybe the "quiet and unassuming" guise is the wrong way to go. Perhaps I need to have a T-shirt made up with my full credentials. Or maybe I should just get a Columbia one. After all, I taught there, too.

Comments

Our rabbi has a fantastic story that runs right along what you were saying. Sort of “people who put their feet in their mouths and chew without understanding”.
He is remodeling and needed to pick out a new bathtub.
He went to a place they gave him a quote (substantially higher than what they quoted him the day before) and the owner said: “I don’t lie when doing business, especially to you rabbi”.
So then does that mean that he lies to others but to Rabbi’s he especially does not?
Kind of like your scenario: “you are brilliant, but now I respect you MORE”. So did you respect me at all before?

Popular Posts