Where Are You For Pesach?



As I was enjoying a bit of sunshine on a walk today, it struck me that I was quite happy to not be going away for Pesach. I like not having to pack up clothes -- never mind everything but the kitchen sink that has to be lugged around for the apartment rentals that many opt for in place of hotels. I like the convenience of living near stores where I can get whatever I need on the spot without having had to plan a detailed shopping list that has to cover all the holiday needs. 
.

But Pesach seems to be the getaway holiday. That used to just mean going to family , but now it often means going to Florida -- if you consider yourself just middle class -- or more exotic locations - if you want to show that you can afford to travel off the beaten path.  

This is what I was pondering, and I'd have to conclude that there is some carryover from Pesach Mitzrayim that makes so many Jews feel it is time to pack up and leave home for somewhere less familiar. The physical movement paralleled the spiritual movement, leaving the mentality of Egypt to embrace the path that leads to Torah.

 The original mandate to leave one's familiar territory appears to get translated into this wanderlust for the holiday that pushes people to spend thousands of dollars on accommodations and transport to be sure they are anywhere but home for Pesach. 

Not sure why my husband and I don't get that same impulse. In fact, we have very rarely left home for Pesach. We only went to parents a few times early in our married life. My husband does most of the turning over, and I do the grocery shopping and cooking. then we get to enjoy fresh, homemade food.

Wherever you are this Pesach that requires observing two days of Yom Tov, remember to prepare an eruv tavshilin. 



Like and follow on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KallahMagazine/

Comments

Popular Posts